Having bruising in leg after a fall. Does this indicate fracture?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Question
thank u Doctor for your help. I am 75 years old and was walking on my treadmill and missed a step and I fell on the treadmill. I had polio in my left leg which is smaller than my right leg. When i fell i felll on my left shin. It doesnt feel like its broken but may have a small a fracture. the accident accord approx 4 to 5 days ago. in the area of the shin is bruised has a lump is warm. I only feel a slight pain when i wake up in the morning. The brusing hasnt when down. What should i do ? Thank u and happy holidays
Posted Wed, 8 Jan 2014 in Bones, Muscles and Joints

Answered by Dr. Vaibhav Gandhi 57 minutes later
Brief Answer: Possibility of stress fracture of leg bone Detailed Answer: Hello, I have studied your case. As per your history and your activity possibility of stress fracture of leg bone can be considered or only tibia contusion may be present. So I will advise to take an x-ray and should look for stress fracture. In some patient there can be persistent soft tissue swelling. Swelling can be reduced by proper physiotherapy. MRI scan will help in confirming diagnosis. Stress fracture may require immobilisation in plaster or brace. I will advise to consult orthopaedic surgeon if possible otherwise take rest. Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries. Wishing you good health. Take care.

Follow-up: Having bruising in leg after a fall. Does this indicate fracture? 4 hours later
what is a stress fracture? what is a shin fracture? how do i care for a fractured shin bone? what is physiotherapy?

Answered by Dr. Vaibhav Gandhi 34 hours later
Brief Answer: Stress fracture-is injury to bone due to excessive Detailed Answer: Hello, Stress fracture is injury to bone due to excessive strain which cannot be taken by individual bone. Shin fracture break in continuity [fracture] of bone in anterior (front) aspect of leg. For fractured shin bone you need to consult orthopaedic surgeon, as per your x ray and fracture pattern he will decide management as operative or plaster. Physiotherapy- pain can reduced by various wave therapy which are given by specialized machine like ultrasonic therapy, short wave diathermy. Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries. Wishing you good health. Take care