Having bruising down both the legs. Having a bump and tender to touch around the shin. Treatment?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
I fell pretty hard and landed below the knee on the compact bone. This was about a week ago. On the day it happened, by the end of that day, it had swelled and looked like I had a second knee. The swelling has since gone done, although, I still have a bump and it's very tender to the touch. I noticed last night that I have bruising (and yellowing) down both sides of my leg and it's tender to the touch, especially around my shin. From reading other forums, I believe the discoloring down the leg is due to sitting most of the day and not being diligent about elevating it. Is this the case? And is it common to have tenderness on areas of the leg that wasn't the initial spot of injury?
Posted Thu, 17 Oct 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Moustafa Saeed 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
Possibly hematoma

Detailed Answer:
Hi, thank you for your question.

You might have bruised a muscle/soft tissue at the injury site where you will have localised bleeding, this may change into Hematoma (small area of blood collection) and gradually change colour and get smaller as the body absorb it.
You need to be aware that it may get infected which will need treatment.

If you can not walk full weight bearing on your leg you will need X-ray, but if you are walking normally then do not bother with x-ray.

I will advise to use Ice in towel few times a day and elevation as well as exercises of your ankle, knee and toes to improve circulation.

I hope my answer helped you.

wish you speedy recovery