Having bruise, pain and swelling from knee to toe. What treatment should be done?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
I was assaulted a week ago today and my knee was badly bruised my family dr is sending me to a specialist I go tomarrow but the more I walk the worse it hurts there is more bruising every day and my calf is staying cold now my ankle is hurting badly there is swelling from my knee to my toes
Posted Sat, 24 Nov 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 26 minutes later
I have seen the image attached.
The appearance of pain, swelling with skin color changes, tenderness, etc are all indicative of hematoma formation either due to a fracture.
For diagnosis it is important to get an x-ray foot and a MRI scan of the area done. X-rays are very sensitive for picking up any fracture and MRI is one of the best tests for ruling out and identifying soft tissue injuries in the area of fall.
I recommend you to consult an Orthopedician for proper examination and required investigations.
Meanwhile -
1. Do a cold compress on the area of injury.
2. Avoid weight bearing on the foot.
3. Keep the foot elevated on two pillows while resting.
4. Get some mild pain killers prescribed from your doctor.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.
Follow-up: Having bruise, pain and swelling from knee to toe. What treatment should be done? 9 minutes later
The injury is my knee the swelling an pain has move to my foot I had X-rays they said it wasn't broken but it gets more painful by the day
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 5 hours later
Thanks for writing again.
If the bone injury has been ruled out and the pain is progressively increasing a knee joint structures needs to be ruled out after an MRI.
Till then you can use a knee brace and avoid weight bearing.
Hope my answer is helpful.
Do accept my answer in case there are no further queries.