Having bruise on legs, irregular periods and feeling tired. What treatment should be done?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - May 2013
May 2013
Excellent
Question
I am always tired even with right amount of sleep I struggle to wake myself up, Bruise very easily on my legs I have 10+ bruises at the moment I have irregular periods and just don't feel my happy self what could this be? I have periods that start dark brown and slow down after two days I then get a full period with fresh red blood for a week it stops for a day then I have a light period for 3 Further days ending with dark brown blood.
Posted Thu, 29 Nov 2012 in Menstruation and Miscarriage

Answered by Dr. Sree Gouri SR 30 minutes later

The possible causes for your problem are:
-Blood related causes like:
Hemoplhilia: which occurs due to lack of certain clotting factors.
Thrombocytopenia: decreased number of platelets.
Pre-leukemia: myelodysplastic syndrome, a rare possibility.

-Generalized conditions like cirrhosis of liver.
-Scurvy, occurs due to deficiency of vitamin C.

All these conditions presents with easy bruising, prolonged bleeding, tiredness etc.
So you consult a physician or hematologist and undergo a general examination and blood investigation for complete blood picture. These can possibly find out the cause of your problem and treatment can be taken accordingly.

Hope I have answered your query. I will be available to answer your follow up queries. If you are satisfied with all my answer, please rate the answer after closing the discussion.

Follow-up: Having bruise on legs, irregular periods and feeling tired. What treatment should be done? 57 minutes later
I have horizontal ridges on 6 of my fingernails. Does this mean anything could it be linked?

Answered by Dr. Sree Gouri SR 4 hours later

There are two types in Horizontal ridges on fingernails:
Beau’s lines: they appear as horizontal depressions on the finger nails. Seen in conditions like circulatory disturbances, diabetes, malnutrition, vitamin deficiencies etc.
Muehrcke’ lines: they appear as pairs of transverse white lines. Seen in conditions like liver diseases, malnutrition etc.
Some of these conditions can cause bleeding abnormalities. So there is possibility of an association between the underlying cause of your problem and nail ridges. After examining your doctor can possibly find this out.

Wish you Good Health, If you are satisfied with my response please rate the answer after closing the discussion.