Having bruise on knee and thigh. Swollen and sore to touch. Should I be worried?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
I fell off my bike seven days ago, and my bruises (the most interesting is about two hands wide on the inside of my knee/thigh, and the worrisome one is the size of the palm of my hand directly over my pubic bone) are slowly healing and changing colours, but are all still swollen and sore. I've been icing, elevating, and taking naproxen. The one on my pelvis is healing slower than the ones on my legs, but is still purple and has a part about two inches around underneath it that is hard to the touch, numb on top, and very sore when I push on it. Is this anything to be worried about?
Posted Mon, 15 Oct 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 1 hour later
It is normal for the bruises to show a change in color. Since the bruises are seven days old, they are likely to be painful and firm. There is no need to worry. Large bruises often take 3-4 weeks to resolve completely. The numbness that you are having is also completely reversible.
You are doing the right treatment with icing and pain killers. Do watch for any signs of inflammation like redness, intense pain or fever which is suggestive of an infection and a surgical intervention and systemic antibiotics might be required in such a case.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.