Having bruise on foot. No pain or swelling. What can be done?

Feb 2013

My daughter (age 12) has a bruise on top of her foot, the width of her 3 middle toes. It is not painful or swollen -- just discolored She first noticed it when she was walking in a new (stiff) pair of pointe shoes. She was not walking en pointe, just walking in the shoes. Since it doesn't hurt, I have not taken her to a doctor.

I wanted to clarify my previous statement that there are no injuries or illnesses. Two weeks ago, my daughter was diagnosed with strep throat, and she took zithromicin (500 mg) for 5 days. She has also been experiencing tingling in her feet, fingers and hands which was reduced but not eliminated after she finished the anti-biotics. Her pedicatrician is referring us to a neuorologist since the tingling hasn't totally disappeared.
Posted Sat, 20 Jul 2013 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. E Venkata Ramana 1 hour later

Thank you for your query on Healthcare Magic.

I went through the picture.

The bruise, you mentioned is looking like a patch of skin pigmentation which occurred due to the friction effect from the new tight shoes.

Because of the stiff and tight shoe, there will be skin irritation with friction which often leads to skin thickening and pigmentation.

Ask her to wear the normal, comfortably fitting shoe.

Once the pressure and friction is relived, the discoloration will subside.

Coming to tingling in her feet, fingers, and hands may be because of some peripheral nerves related problems like vitamin B 12 deficiency and needs the neurologist consultation.

Consult the neurologist as per your pediatrician referral and got examined and evaluated her for the causes of these sensations.

Hope I have answered your query, if you have any clarification please let me know.