Having brown patches on chest. What can be done for this?

Hi Doctor,
From the last 1 month or so I have noticed that there are some brown patches on my chest. These were not present earlier, now suddenly I could see them appearing. What can be done for this? Also could you please prescribe a good ointment for under eye dark circles.

Thank You.
Posted Sat, 18 May 2013 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Kalpana Pathak 47 minutes later
The brown patches on your chest could be fungal infection, pityriasis versicolor, post inflammatory hyperpigmentation etc. I would be in a better position to answer if you could upload an image of concerned area.

As far as dark circles are concerned
Improve sleeping pattern, take at least 8 hours sleep
Avoid visual strain from TV laptop
Get your HB and thyroid profile done as anemia and thyroid disorder can lead to dark circles
Take nutritious diet
Apply wundereye cream twice in a day
Youmay also take arginine, Kojic acid or Glycolic acid peels to reduce your dark circles.
Dark circles take long time to respond, so you have to be patient.
Follow-up: Having brown patches on chest. What can be done for this? 47 hours later
Hi Doctor,

Thank you so much for your response.
I have attached images of the affected area. These patches appear on the left side of my chest.

Could you please advise.

Answered by Dr. Kalpana Pathak 26 hours later
Thanks for uploading the image. I have gone through the attached images. Though the images are not very clear but the lesions look slightly greyish or slate blue in color. The cause for such pigmentation could be lichen planus pigmentosus, use of fragrant cosmetics/ perfumes( berloque pigmentation) and very rarely in your case becker's nevus as this nevi usually presents in adolescence or teenage. Sometimes drugs like antibiotics, painkillers too can cause sensitivity and pigmentation.
I would advise that for the pigmentation, you consult a dermatologist nearby so that be properly examining the lesion , an appropriate diagnosis can be made.
In the meanwhile, you may apply pigmentation reducer cream like skinlite over the lesion in night.

Hope that helped.