Having brown discharge. HCG level 35. Having periods with normal bleeding. Miscarriage?

On Friday my HCG level was 35. Saturday I began having a brown discharge. Today I began my period with normal bleeding and some clots. Did I miscarry?
Posted Wed, 26 Jun 2013 in Pregnancy
Answered by Dr. Jorge Brenes-Salazar 22 minutes later
dear patient

thanks for your health concerns. HCG levels are undetectable in normal conditions; the most common cause of elevated hcg is pregnancy although there are other rare causes of elevated hcg such as choriocarcinomas, stromal tumors, etc. Given the descriptive history of bleeding with clots, miscarriage is the most likely possibility.

truly yours

Dr Brenes Salazar MD
Mayo Clinic MN