Having broken ribs, nerve damage and diagnosed with concussion. Ear is bleeding. Should I be worried?

Pain Medicine & Palliative Care Specialist
Question
On Tuesday I was pretty badly assaulted (all of my ribs on the left side were broken, nerve damage to my leg) and I was diagnosed with a severe concussion. Now my ear is bleeding. Should I be worried?
Posted Thu, 29 Aug 2013 in General Health

Answered by Dr. Kerry Pottinger 17 minutes later
Thank you for using Healthcare Magic.
In view of your other injuries and in particular your head injury then bleeding from your ear may be of significance. Therefore, I suggest you visit your emergency department. It could be related to the concussion you suffered.
I hope this has been of help to you. If you have any further questions, please do not hesitate to contact me.
Dr K A Pottinger,
MBChB FRCA

Follow-up: Having broken ribs, nerve damage and diagnosed with concussion. Ear is bleeding. Should I be worried? 5 minutes later
Can I just wait for a day and see if it goes away? I have been really sick this yer and I really don't want to go back there.

Answered by Dr. Kerry Pottinger 11 minutes later
Yes you could wait if you do not feel up to another visit to a doctor. However, the warning signs that may indicate the need for urgent care would be continued bleeding from your ear. Also, any watery discharge from your ear, severe headache, blurred vision, nausea or vomiting. Confusion and excessive sleepiness would also be significant.
I hope you feel better soon.
Dr K A Pottinger

Follow-up: Having broken ribs, nerve damage and diagnosed with concussion. Ear is bleeding. Should I be worried? 25 minutes later
Thank you.

Answered by Dr. Kerry Pottinger 5 minutes later
I hope you make a speedy return to good health.
Dr K A Pottinger