Having broken arm. Diagnosed with alzheimer's disease and heart problems. What are the effects of pain on her body?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Mom is an 87 year old woman with alzheimer's disease,and heart problems. She fell and broke her arm I know narcodics is hard on system and can cause the alzheimer's to kick in to high gear. But what are the effects of pain on her body and mind by not treating the pain with percription drugs. she had bleading ulsers 5 yrs ago that had to be treated in hospital.
Posted Sat, 7 Dec 2013 in Brain and Spine
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 3 hours later
Brief Answer: She can take low dose narcotics. Detailed Answer: Hello, Thanks for posting your query. The pain in case of a broken arm stays for the first few days only. After the cast is applied, the fractured fragments do not move and there is no pain then. The pain as such does not have a detrimental effect on her health. It can cause depression and other psychological problems only if the pain is chronic. She can take low dose narcotics for first few days and then stop the pain medicines. Do give her adequate calcium and zinc supplements for an early healing. I hope this answers your query. In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out. Wishing you good health. Regards. Dr. Praveen Tayal.