Having breathing problems, uneasy in neck, after belching feels better. Having thyroid. Taking pentucid. Cure?

Question
Hi, sir, i am XXXXXX XXXXXXX lives in Dimapur, sir from last few day i am facing some breathing problem, I have done all my test, everything is normal, I am also suffering from thyroid, but now thyroid is also normal, i feel uneasy in neck, after belching i feel little relax, from tomorrow i am taking acidity tablet (Pentucid), but difference is not too much.
Posted Wed, 29 May 2013 in General Health

Answered by Dr. Prasad Akole 30 minutes later
Dear XXXXXXX, welcome to Healthcaremagic!
I am Dr. Prasad Akole (Critical Care Expert- http://bit.ly/Dr-Prasad-Akole) and am glad to address to your query here.

To find the cause of your breathlessness, I need some more information from you.
Were you hypo(low) or hyper thyroid?
Was there any lump/ nodule in the thyroid?

There is a possibility of a multi-nodular or retro-sternal thyroid causing breathlessness if it is large and pressing on the airway.

Your expression “ thyroid and tests are all normal” does not convey any meaningful clue here.

It would greatly help if you could upload your past reports/ scans here using the uploading service available on this site just below the text box. You can email the reports / scans to
YYYY@YYYY      with subject- (Attn: Dr. Prasad Akole)

Other possibilities are many and include acidity (for which pantocid should help after a few days), unrelated respiratory problem) and many others.
Can you tell if the breathlessness is on particular thing or lying down? Is there any lump in the neck?
Do you have difficulty swallowing?
Is there any cough, fever, sputum? Do you smoke?
What medicines are you on?

You can continue pantocid till then.

I can tell you more meaningfully once I receive details. Please mention any other symptoms you may have.

I hope to have answered your query satisfactorily. I would be glad to answer any further queries. Take care and please keep me informed of your progress at http://bit.ly/Dr-Prasad-Akole
Good Luck!

Follow-up: Having breathing problems, uneasy in neck, after belching feels better. Having thyroid. Taking pentucid. Cure? 35 hours later
Hi Doctor,
Please find the attached reports of my.

I mail the reports which you asked.
No sir I dont have any lump or nodule in my neck, if I take rest i fill better but not for so long, no Dr. I never smoke, no cough, no fever but yes sputum, not too much, but its colour is black/dark grey, yes swallowing in neck my weight is 85kg, i am taking OLMY 20 for blood pressure, pantocid, thyronorm 50mg, thats all. Still i m filling uneasy in my lower side of neck.
Thank You Doctor

Answered by Dr. Prasad Akole 41 minutes later

I saw your reports and answers. Thanks!
Your TSH is normal on thyroxine treatment for hypothyroidism and all labs are normal. ECG is normal too.

The Xray does not show any tracheal (airway) pressure or deviation.
So it is unlikely to be a thyroid nodule causing compression.
Your sputum and breathlessness could be just upper respiratory infection.
Watch for any fever, sore throat. Can take oral gargles with salt-water. If there is fever, sore throat pain , take a course of an antibiotic under medical prescription.
A sonography of the thyroid (if not already done) may be done to look for any nodularity. If thyroiditis (thyroid inflammation) is suspected, you will need a thyroid radio-nuclear scan. It may cause some pressure feeling in the neck and feverishness. Discuss this with your doctor if your breathlessness does not settle in a week.
Tab. Pantocid and gelusil MPS may be taken for any acidity-gas problem.
It should help you.
Keep regular follow up.

I hope to have answered your query satisfactorily. I would be glad to answer any further queries. Keep me updated on your progress.

As it helps us to improve continuously, may I request you to write a rating review before you ‘accept’ and ‘close’ the query.
Thank you!!

Follow-up: Having breathing problems, uneasy in neck, after belching feels better. Having thyroid. Taking pentucid. Cure? 20 minutes later
Dr. i mentioned about swallowing in neck, and i feel little relax after belching.

Why i need a thyroid radio-nuclear scan, I need this scan to know about what.

Please let me know Dr.

Thank You

Answered by Dr. Prasad Akole 12 hours later
Hypothyroidism is sometimes secondary to thyroiditis (thyroid inflammation) and a nuclear scan may show it as cold or hot spots (activity).
You have not mentioned if your hypo function was fully evaluated by any other tests. Your reports posted here do not show them.

Any nodules can be seen on sonography or thyroid scan.

I hope this answers your query.