Having breathing problem while sleeping , subsides with long breath. Blood report shows 10 g of hemoglobin

Question
Having breathing problem while sleeping from a couple of months during night time only. Recent blood report shows 10 g of hemoglobin. If I sit and take a long breath, the problem subsides in 5 mins.
Posted Thu, 20 Jun 2013 in Hypertension and Heart Disease

Answered by Dr. Shoaib Khan 40 minutes later
Hello and welcome to XXXXXXX

Thank you for your query.

I have gone through your query, and if you do not mind, I would require your kind response for a few queries I have in relation to your problem.

Do you experience this breathing problem just while lying down or after you have fallen asleep (i.e. during your sleep)? If you do not mind, could you provide me with details of your weight and height? Are you stressed about anything at present or have fear for anything? Any history of respiratory problems? Any family history of heart problems? Has anyone told you that you snore at night? This information would greatly help. Thank you.

Usually, such a description is provided by women, and very rarely by men, although a lot of men do experience such problems as well. As I await for your response, I shall list all the conditions that can cause such a presentation:
-Sleep apnea
-Heart related conditions (this is due to poor blood circulation to the lungs; but usually, the breathing problem lasts even through the day)
-Respiratory conditions (eg. nocturnal asthma, chronic obstructive pulmonary disease, bronchitis, etc.)
-Stress
-Obesity
-Panic disorder
-Snoring (related to sinus)
-Nasal obstruction (blocking of the nasal pathway; eg. rhinitis, sinusitis, etc.)
-Anemia

As you do have anemia, I wish to explain how anemia can cause breathing difficulties. In a particular type of anemia, where there is a deficiency of iron; breathing difficulties can result. This is because iron carries oxygen, and a deficiency of iron can result in low oxygen, which could result in the breathlessness. Please do get your iron levels checked; and if they are low, correct the iron deficiency, and your problem shall subside.

I await your response on my queries, which will further help narrow down our list of possible causes, and hopefully find the cause to your problem, and permanently solve it.

I hope I have succeeded in providing the information you were looking for. Please feel free to write back to me for any further clarifications, I would gladly help you.

Best wishes.

Follow-up: Having breathing problem while sleeping , subsides with long breath. Blood report shows 10 g of hemoglobin 1 hour later
when lying down i do get these problems not when in sleep,,

Answered by Dr. Shoaib Khan 5 minutes later
Thank you for your response.

If you do not mind, could you also answer my other questions, as they will greatly help in ruling out some of the possible causes, and reaching the most likely cause.

But if you do not wish to, then; for now, doctor and get iron supplements, if there is an iron deficiency, and I am sure, it will solve your problem.

But, if anemia is ruled out, then there are a few investigations you would have to get done, in order to rule out a few other causes, they are:
-Chest x-ray (to find any respiratory problems)
-ECG (EKG) -- to check to condition of your heart
-Echocardiography -to check blood flow and structure of your heart
-Pulmonary function test -- to check your respiratory system in detail

Best wishes.