Having breathing problem, using inhaler. Diagnosed with asthma. How to get rid of it?

Hi Doctor,
I have been facing breating problem since 5 months, recently (Jan, 2013) got admitted in hospital for Asthma and Sinus and realized that problem is because of Asthma.
Post discharge doctor was confident that I was Ok and no need to under go a surgery for neither of them.
However I am still facing breathing problem and atleast once in a day I have to take inhaler.
Do suggest me what action can be taken to get rid of this problem.
Posted Tue, 14 May 2013 in Lung and Chest disorders
Answered by Dr. Gyanshankar Mishra 1 hour later

Thanks for posting the query on XXXXXXX After going through your query, I would like to comment the following:

1. You seem to be diagnosed as a case of Bronchial Asthma with allergic rhino-sinusitis.

2. You need to get evaluated with a pulmonologist in detail.

3. Investigations that may be required are Chest xray, Pulmonary function tests and Serum IgE.

4. Based on your evaluation results, you need to take inhaled medication and oral drugs. Nasal sprays may also be required by you.

5. If you have breathing problems then your medications are not optimised at present and mainly your inhaler therapy needs to be titrated. Maintenance inhaler therapy needs to be daily and reliever therapy as and when required.

6. Avoid cold food, dust exposure and all possible triggers.

7. Flu and pneumococcal vaccines will be of great help to you.

I hope I have answered your query. I will be glad to answer follow up queries if any.
Please accept my answer if you have no follow up queries.

Dr. Gyanshankar Mishra
Consultant Pulmonologist