Having breathing difficulty with sore throat and cough. Had flu. Related?

In November I had man flue with a bad chest that lasted for a few weeks then cleared for a week then came back. I h ad to increase my asthma medication because my breathing was bad. Soon after I lost my voice and was prescribed antibiotics this helped my voice came back but I have been left with a sore throat and dry cough my voice also goes hoarse. So I have been ill for approx 3 months. Physically I feel fit and train at my local gym. I do however struggle to sleep due to the dry cough and do at times take a prescribed sleeping pill.

Posted Thu, 7 Mar 2013 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 43 minutes later
Hi, thanks for using healthcare magic

Persistent sore throat and hoarseness can be related to allergic sinusitis that often co exists with asthma. It would also contribute to your dry cough.
Medical studies have been done to determine the most common reasons for chronic cough and they are : post nasal drip secondary to allergic sinusitis, GERD and cough due to asthma.

The normal protocol is to treat for possible allergic sinusitis first because it is the more likely of two, however with a history of asthma, it is best to treat for both simultaneously.
This would involve using a topical steroid nasal spray and oral antihistamine for the possible allergic sinusitis contribution to your symptoms.

When assessing asthmatic control, one of the questions asks about the presence of night time coughing because it is one of the indicators that control needs to be improved by adjustment of medication.
You would need consult your doctor about temporarily increasing your preventer medication and till the increased dose kicks in, consider using the reliever when the coughing occurs at night.

I hope this helps, feel free to ask any other questions