Having breast cancer. Trying to lose weight. On letrozole and antidepressants. What is your advice?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - May 2013
May 2013
Excellent
Question
Hi my friend has just sent me a link about weight loss and she is suggesting that I use HCG. I would like to loose weight but it never happens although I go to the gym alot etc. I am on Letrozole and anti depressents as I have had breast cancer.
What is your advice
Posted Sat, 28 Jul 2012 in Cancer

Answered by Dr. Sree Gouri SR 3 hours later
hi,

Nowadays HCG is being recommended for weight loss by some companies,
Theoretically it is said that HCG decreases body weight by suppressing the hunger, there by your body uses the fat stores as fuel for energy,
But in practical they are recommending HCG diet plans, in which daily intake of calories are restricting to 500,
So according to nutritionists the weight loss is because of very low calorie intake and not because of HCG,
Many studies concluded that HCG will not cause weight loss,
Reference: WWW.WWWW.WW And also there are no FDA approved HCG weight loss products,
Taking low calorie diet cannot fulfill your nutritional needs and there is chance of having vitamin and mineral deficiencies,
So better you consult local nutritionist once, discuss with him and then decide.

Hope I have answered your query. I will be available to answer your follow up queries. If you are satisfied with all my answer, please rate the answer after closing the discussion.

Follow-up: Having breast cancer. Trying to lose weight. On letrozole and antidepressants. What is your advice? 2 hours later
I was wondering if it was safe to use if I am taking Letrozole?

Answered by Dr. Sree Gouri SR 1 hour later
HI,

as per the literature no interactions noted between letrozole and HCG,
but by this we cannot completely rule out the possibility of interactions,
so if at all you decide to use HCG, better consult you doctor once and take his advice.

Wish you Good Health, If you are satisfied with my response please rate the answer after closing the discussion.