Having breast cancer. Abdominal hysterctomy and bilat salpingo-opherectomy to be done. Any thoughts?

Hi I am 48 yrs old and had Breast CA 10 yrs ago. I am a sonographer, so I am familiar with medical terms. My CA125 has been elevated lately and I have gone to see a Specialist. To cut a long story short Im due to have abdominal hysterctomy and bilat salpingo-opherectomy. I cant take hormone (HRT) due to prev breast ca. How long does the symptoms from surgically induced meapause last. Is it longer or shorter?
Posted Thu, 9 Aug 2012 in Cancer
Answered by Dr. Ioan Dorian OANA 2 hours later

The most common statistic shows that menopausal symptoms will last on average 3 to 5 years, with wildly different experiences for many women. The duration of symptoms is unpredictable, so it is impossible to say how long the symptoms from surgically induced menopause last, but there is a likelihood that induced menopause symptoms will be more severe and last shorter, compared to those of natural menopause.

If you have any more queries, feel free to ask.

Dr. Dorian Oana MD, PhD