Having brain fog feeling after stopping Epilepsy medication. Had taken Epilim and Tegretol. Should I restart medication?

Neurologist
Question
I have had epilepsy since I was 21, I am now 35, and 7 years seizure free. I was taking epilim and tegretol, but last month I weaned myself off them, as I want to start a family this year. The problem is, I don't feel like I'm going to have a seizure, I feel fine in that area, but I can't think like I did when I was on the medication. It's like a brain fog. Do u recommend I go back on the medication? And how do I go about it??
Posted Sun, 6 May 2012 in Epilepsy

Answered by Dr. Shiva Kumar R 5 hours later

Regarding the occurence of behavioral and mental alertness problems after stopping the medications, I personally feel it is related to abrupt stopping of tegretol. Tegretol has antidepressant properties and if stopped abruptly can cause such kind of problems.

So I personally recomend you to be on a small dose of tegretol (200-400mg/day) and gradually taper it over a period of 6 months to avoid withdrawal effects.

I am sorry you are dealing with this frustrating concern. The bottom line is that you need to restart tegretol and if symptoms persist arrange an appointment with your Psychiatrist for further evaluation.

I hope this information has been both informative and helpful for you. In case of any doubt, I will be available for follow ups.

Wish you good health.

Dr Shiva Kumar R
Neurologist & Epileptologist

Follow-up: Having brain fog feeling after stopping Epilepsy medication. Had taken Epilim and Tegretol. Should I restart medication? 11 minutes later
Can I start on epilim 500 and tegretol CR 200 again at the same time, or one at a time? I was down to 1 epilim and half a tegretol taken every morning when I went off them suddenly one morning, 1 month ago.

Answered by Dr. Shiva Kumar R 49 minutes later
Hello and thanks for the query

You can only start on Tegretol 200 twice a day. Epilim need not be started again. Then reduce Tegretol 100 mg every 2 months and stop it. It is always suggested to taper the medicine under the guidance of your treating doctor. Do not self medicate yourself, it can have deleterious effect on your health.

Get the medicines prescribed by your doctor.

Wish you good health.

Dr Shiva Kumar R
Neurologist & Epileptologist