Having body aches and headache. Got a bump on arm. Taking bactrim for bacterial infection. Now?

2 weeks ago, I thought I had the flu....body aches and headache....was in bed for 2 days. No respiratory or digestive symptoms followed though. When I got back up and about....the under side of my right arm was painful, like pins and needles and the underside of my armpit was numb. Last Friday, my armpit, under my arm and the back of my arm broke out in painful red bumps that are large....about the size of a pencil eraser. The skin breaks open and if anything comes out, it is not really apparent. There is no pus in them. They are mostly in small groups. I went to my ob/gyn on Monday (because one of the bumps was on my breast) and she thinks it is a bacterial infection and prescribed Bactrim. I have taken it for 2 days with no improvement. Any ideas?
Posted Tue, 26 Mar 2013 in Skin Rash
Answered by Dr. Y V Siva Sankara Murty 13 minutes later

Your description is suggestive of Herpes zoster to me.

Herpes Zoster occurs because of reactivation of Varicella Zoster virus which causes chicken pox. Chicken pox normally occurs during child hood and the virus remains dormant in the nerves. It gets reactivated in conditions of decreased immunity.

It is typically localized to a particular area. (It is the description provided by you) It is associated with significant pain (very severe burning or stinging).

Antiviral agents and analgesics may be prescribed by your doctor for the same.

Do contact me for any further help.