Having blurred vision. Got tests done i fasting state. Result showed Prolactin has doubled. Suggest?

Infertility Specialist

Hi there. A few days ago I made the following tests and please help me to read the results. Research has been done in the fasting state, at the 3rd day of menstruation. I have to make a consultation is Endocrinologist. So I decided to do first online consultation with such professional. The results show that prolactin is almost twice increased. What causes this and what is the way to treat? What other tests are needed to do? I'm terribly sorry, but I can not write well in English, but I hope you understand. Thank you in advance for your help.
FSH 19.8 mIU/mL
Follicular phase 2.5 - 10.2
Midcycle peak 3.4 - 33.4
Luteal phase 1.5 - 9.1
Pregnant < 0.3
Post Menopausal 23.0 - 116.3
LH 11.15 mIU/mL
Contraceptives 0.7 - 5.6
Folicular phase 1.9 - 12.5
Midcycle peak 8.7 - 76.3
Luteal phase 0.5 - 54.0
Reference Values 4.5 - 12.2 ug/dL
Please note: New reference range as of 9/04/2013
T3-Uptake 36.0
Reference Values 22.5 - 37.0 %
TSH 3rd Generation 1.40
Reference Values 0.36 - 4.42 uIU/mL
T3, Total 85
Reference Values 60 - 181 ng/dL
T4, Free 1.19
Reference Values 0.8 - 1.8 ng/dL
ESTRADIOL 20.0 pg/mL
(by day in cycle relative to LH peak)
Menstruating females
Folicular phase (-12 to -4 days) 19.5 - 144.2
Mid-cycle (-3 to +2 days) 63.9 - 356.7
Luteal phase (+4 to +12 days) 55.8 - 214.2
Post-menopausal Females (untreated) <32.2
PROLACTIN 48.3 ng/mL
Reference Values 2.8 - 29.2
Pregnant Reference Range 2.8 - 29.2 ng/mL
Postmenopausal Reference Range 1.8 - 20.3 ng/mL
Reference Values 14 - 76

Optional Information:
Person's Gender: Female
Person's Age: 41
Posted Thu, 3 Oct 2013 in Infertility Problem
Answered by Dr. Mahesh Koregol 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Please send following reports if you have

Detailed Answer:
Hi, please let me know if you have any ultrasound report to check eggs. Also any other hormonal tests like AMH. Also let me know if your partner has done semen analysis. I would reply in detail after seeing these reports if you have. Regards, Dr. Mahesh Koregol. IVF & Infertility Specialist
Follow-up: Having blurred vision. Got tests done i fasting state. Result showed Prolactin has doubled. Suggest? 7 minutes later
I do not have any ultrasound reports and other hormonal tests. I'm not looking to get pregnant. I just was feeling tired and blurred vision and went to check up.
Brief Answer:
Repeat the test

Detailed Answer:

Prolactin is on higher side the causes coukd be:
1) due to physiological variations due to mental stress or sleep disturbance etc...which generally get corrected.

2) Some rare diseases like prolactinoma of the gland causes high levels. This is rare and unlikely.

3) You FSH level is also high. Hence I doubt credibility of lab and want to reconfirm before going ahead with treatment.

I suggest you repeat the serum prolactin from any other good laboratory on any day of your cycle in fasting state. If it still shows higher, you can easily get treated. It is always better to get second report from another lab.

Dr. Mahesh Koregol
Follow-up: Having blurred vision. Got tests done i fasting state. Result showed Prolactin has doubled. Suggest? 35 hours later

I took my MRI result. Can you help me with result.

mri of brain and pituitary gland
7 cc of gadolinium this was infused intravenously
HISTORY: Hyperprolactinemia and blurred vision
No prior studies available for comparison
FINDINGS: There is a partially empty sella turcica. No mass is identified. The pituitary stalk is midline. The optic chiasm is unremarkable. Gray and white matter demonstrate normal signal intensity on all pulse sequences. There is no acute infarct or mass. There is no abnormal parenchymal or leptomeningeal enhancement. The ventricular system is normal. The posterior fossa and brainstem are unremarkable. Orbits are grossly unremarkable. The XXXXXXX carotid artery and basilar artery flow voids are patent. Paranasal sinuses are well-aerated.
IMPRESSION: Partially empty sella turcica. No masses are identified.
Answered by Dr. Mahesh Koregol 7 hours later
Brief Answer:
normal report

Detailed Answer:
Hi, MRI seems to be normal. It was dond to check if there is prolactinoma mass suppressing nerves related to vision and there is no problem. You can relax. Please see endocrinologist and get the prescription for treating hyperprolactinemia. Also see an ophthalmologist for blurred vision. There is no major problem. Regards, Dr. Mahesh Mahesh