Having blood rushing feeling to middle finger. What does this indicate?

I have a blood rushing feeling to my middle finger and it becomes hot and pulsates for about 50sec., then it goes away. This happens about every 1 to 2 hours. I am in great physical health and this has never happened before.
Posted Fri, 20 Dec 2013 in Brain and Spine
Answered by Dr. Luchuo Engelbert Bain 2 hours later
Brief Answer: No worries for now. Key info useful, Detailed Answer: Hi and thanks for the query, I do think your observation deserves a keen attention and an in depth review. It is important to note if it occurs on both middle fingers or only on one finger. Secondly, if the circumstances that first accompanied the onset of these symptoms could be identified it would be nice. Other symptoms like pain, blue coloration of the affected region and change in sensitivity during crises are important to be known. The commonest condition that could present as such is called Reynold's phenomenon. This condition is however characterized by periodic red coloration of fingers, which in turn turn blue, back to normal and the cycle starts all over. It is however often seen in some rheumatological (arthritis) and autoimmune diseases. Any family or personal history of joint disease/systemic disease could be very helpful. From your medical history, I really do not think there should be something serious that is underlying. The competence, especially of an internist or a rheumatologist for a keen observation, and correlation of key clinical findings with your medical and family history could throw much light into this. Thanks and kind regards as I wish you the best of health. I am predisposed to answer follow up questions in case you got some specific concerns. Please, do feel free asking follow up questions. kind regards and wishing you the best. Dr Bain.