Having blood pressure. Can I take male enhancement booster containing L-arginine, nitrate?

Question
CAN I TAKE AN MALE ENHANCEMENT BOOSTER CONTAININGTRIBULUS TERRESTRIS, L-ARGININE,NITRATE,L-CIRULINE, VITIS VINIFERA, PROTODEXX MATRIX COMPLEX, MUIRAPUAMA, MACA ROOT, EURYCOMA LONGFOLIA, AVINA SATIVA EXTRACT AND LONG PEPPER EXTRACT IF I'M TAKING LOTREL5/20 FOR MILDLY HIGH BLOOD PRESSURE

Posted Mon, 10 Jun 2013 in General Health

Answered by Dr. Jorge Brenes-Salazar 10 hours later

Thank you for sharing your health concerns.

Taking such supplements can become a risky endeavor if you have a heart history or risk factors, and are taking prescription medications; we cannot predict the interactions (increasing or decreasing the effect of your medications), as these have not been studied. Many of these herbs can increase blood pressure.

Plus, sometimes these mixtures do not reveal some of their "propietary" ingredients. If loss of energy, sexual desire or erectile dysfunction are reasons that encourage you to try these supplements, it would be a safer choice to talk to your prescribing physician about other options that might not interfere with your amlodipine/benazepril, and if additional tests or investigations are needed.

Hope this is useful, wish you the best health, blessings.

Dr Brenes-Salazar MD
Cardiology
Mayo Clinic MN