Ask a Urologist   »  

Having blood in urine. Had hot peppers. Could this be the cause?

I have blood in my urine no pain. I did eat hot peppers before this happened.
Posted Fri, 20 Sep 2013 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Answered by Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar 31 minutes later
Brief Answer:

Detailed Answer:

Please do not be worried about slight blood show in the urine. If the urine turns cola colored then it is something to be addressed immediately.

Perhaps hot peppers caused some dehydration.

Slight blow show can occur because of breakage in the capillaries lining the urethra and prostate gland. They break easily and show in the urine. Also you are a 59 yr old male there is a chance of prostate enlargement due to testosterone. It shows up at this age and presses over the urethra. Prostate and urethra are highly blood supplied and you may see frequent capillary breakage. The other reason is water and flush off the blood stains. If you see cola colored urine you should rush to ER as it indicates injury or kidney problem.