Having blocked right nostril. Face on right hurts while sneezing. Tried antihistamines decongestants and steroid nasal spray. Suggest

My right nostril is blocked ,I sometimes sneeze and the right side of my face hurts.i have tried antihistamines decongestants and a steroid nasal spray.i started and escalated in one day
Posted Mon, 1 Jul 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Shruti Rijhwani 47 minutes later

Thank you for posting your query.

Well looking into the history you have provided you haven't mentioned the exact time since you are having this problem . Anyways since you have only right side of nostril blocked just on the basis of history it is very difficult to say anything but we can discuss the possibilities . Most common cause will be deviated nasal septum which can be natural or results from an injury which may lead to blockage of sinus on the same side leading to pain while you sneeze .may be with accompanying sinusitis. Other less common causes will be nasal polyps , sometimes allergic rhinitis can also present like this.

I advise you to see an ENT specialist and get a detailed examination because all these problems can be seen on examination of nose. Some X XXXXXXX nose and sinuses may be required. Whatever medications have been prescribed to you are appropriate and they take time to work . So get yourself evaluated for the cause because until the cause is found out the treatment will be just supportive.

Hope it answers your query.

Dr Shruti