Having bloating, spotting and dizziness. Pregnancy test negative. What to do?

I am having bloating, spotting, increased appetite, some dizziness for the past 2 and half months. I have had a pelvic exam, pregnancy blood and urine test..all negative. The symptoms are still there. I have not been trying to get pregnant, although I am married and sexually active...I just feel that something is very different with my body. Also, I have had a complete metabolic panel blood test...all levels came back normal. Also, I have always had normal periods...full flow, 4 days, and always on time.
Posted Wed, 5 Jun 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Mamun Kabir 1 hour later

Welcome to XXXXXXX

Thank you for your query.

Sometimes all physical problems cannot be explained properly.

These are called functional problem.

These type of patients presents with various ways.

Bowel abnormality like abdominal discomfort, bloating & loose stool, generalized or local body pain, palpitation, chest pain, sleep disturbance etc are the usual presentation.

The exact causes cannot be identified.
But familial disharmony, deprivation, unhappiness etc aggravate the symptoms.

Relative investigations become normal.

I think that your physician is well known about this.
You may discuss with him about these.

Please write for further query.

Follow-up: Having bloating, spotting and dizziness. Pregnancy test negative. What to do? 2 hours later
I am not certain that you are addressing the symptoms I am having, which are: no period for 3 months, (with a history of on-time, full menstral periods until Feb. of this year) ...only light spotting (when period is due) ... nausa, swollen breasts, slight cramping sensation in the lower back area. I have taken 2 pregnancy tests (1 blood test) and all have been negative, however all of the above symptoms have it possible, that I am pregnant is my question ...
Answered by Dr. Mamun Kabir 6 hours later

Pregnancy test is known to be accurate. In a very, very rare circumstance do we have a negative pregnancy test even if an individual is pregnant. If pregnancy is suspected, an ultrasound scan is indicated. Ultrasonogram is the most accurate test to confirm/exclude pregnancy.

That being said, I rely on pregnancy test in almost all of my patients. The symptoms you report are most likely due to hormonal imbalance - the cause of which needs to be evaluated using few blood tests and ultrasound scans. If no specific cause is found, your doctor would prescribe pills to bring back your periods to normal as well as treat the symptoms.

The aforementioned treatment can be done under the guidance of a gynecologist. I think it is worthwhile to consult them.

I hope this answers your query. Let me know if you have other concerns.

Follow-up: Having bloating, spotting and dizziness. Pregnancy test negative. What to do? 12 hours later
Thank you for your advice.
Answered by Dr. Mamun Kabir 3 hours later
You are welcome,