Ask a Dentist   »  

Having bleeding gums. Suggested scaling. Any other solution for bleeding gums?

hi sir,

I am having the bleeding gums problem and my dentist is asking to have scaling every 4-5 month is there any other solution to cure the bleeding gum problem permanently because this problem reoccurs again after 1.5 -2 months after getting the scaling of teeth and gums.
Posted Thu, 4 Jul 2013 in Dental Health
Answered by Dr. Anshumala Singh 7 hours later
Dear friend.

Thanks for sharing your concern.

Bleeding gum problem is called gingivitis.This occurs due to local factors like poor oral hygiene,continuous deposition of plaque and calculus.This cannot be cleaned by manual tooth brushing.

The amount of calculus deposition depends upon oral environment of mouth,saliva,tooth morphology (shape) and many more factors.

Therefore, it is advised to get professional cleaning called scaling done every six monthly.

For permanent relief you can go for flap surgery,done for gums.This is done by periodontist(dentist dealing with gum tissues).

In this case the gum flap is opened and thoroughly cleaned and then repositioned,so that gingival(gum) health can be restored.

But please remember that before going for periodontal flap surgery, you must get your blood test done for estimating sugar level in your body.

Also blood pressure should be checked,and you should be free from habits like smoking or tobacco chewing.

Hope i have answered your query and provided you required information.
For further query please let me know.