Having bleeding after abdominal hysterectomy. Is it normal?

Hi, I just had a total abdominal hysterectomy Oct 9th. I only bleed a couple drops the day of and the day after surgery. But the 4th day after surgery up to now I am bleeding more. It is bright red, leaves a long streak on my thin pad, and tints the toilet water a little red. One time I had 3 one and a half inch round spots of blood on my pad. It seems as though every time after I go pee and walk away from the bathroom I can feel a little bleeding. Is this normal?
Posted Mon, 11 Nov 2013 in Vaginal and Uterus Health
Answered by Dr. Rhea Chanda 13 minutes later
Brief Answer:
not normal to bleed

Detailed Answer:
Its not normal to bleed after an abdominal hysterectomy . There could be some local secondary infection at the vault suture site which is causing the bleeding . You should be seen by your surgeon to locate and inspect the suture site. You may need antibiotics to clear infection . Use a betadine vaginal tablet daily at bedtime . If the discharge is minimal and brownish it could be due to dissolving sutures. But in that case the bleeding wont be bright red but brownish .
See your doactor for examination .