Having black stool, abdominal cramps, pain in shoulder blade. Diagnosed with bronchitis. What does this mean?

General Surgeon
I having been having XXXXXXX stool with black specks that looks like little pieces of thread or something in my stool. I woke up monday morning with severe abdominal cramping and pain. I went to the doctor for what I thought was trapped gas in the upper part of my back by my left shoulder blade. I had labs drawn twice in two days and my Hgb went from 14.2 to 12.7. My EOS was 8.8 & BOS was 1.1 which was high. I was told I have bronchitis. I having been having a lot of acid reflux lately. My stool has been XXXXXXX off and on for awhile what does all this mean?
Posted Thu, 26 Jul 2012 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Rajat Gupta 42 minutes later

Thanks for choosing XXXXXXX care magic

I would like to know something more about your health problem.

Since when are you having these problems?
Have you had stool investigation or any other investigation also?

Raised eosinophils in a 30 year woman with thread like pieces in stool can be suggestive of a worm infestation. You may take antihelminthic like albendazole after discussing with your physician. In addition you may also take proton pump inhibitors like pantoprazole and antispasmodic like meftal after discussing with your doctor. This should bring relief in acid reflux and crampy abdominal pain.

Hope all this helps. Do let me know about your other investigations.

Wishing you a speedy recovery

Dr Rajat Gupta
Follow-up: Having black stool, abdominal cramps, pain in shoulder blade. Diagnosed with bronchitis. What does this mean? 1 hour later
No sir I haven't had a stool investigation. I have been having this problem off and on for 5 months. Would a worm infestation cause changes in bowel color? Does acid reflux/Gerd problems cause back pain in middle of upper back below shoulder blades and middle chest pain?

Answered by Dr. Rajat Gupta 37 minutes later

Yes, worm infestation can cause a change in the faeces colour.

Acid reflux can cause back pain in the middle of the upper back and below the shoulder and also a middle chest pain as you said.

I would suggest you get a stool routine investigation and an ultrasound abdomen done.

Please consult your Primary care physician and get the medicines prescribed which I mentioned in the earlier reply.

Get well soon.

Please do write back for further clarifications, if required.

Dr. Rajat Gupta