Having black spots all over body. Is there any medicine to cure this disease?

Dear Dr.

I am Indian my skin colour is light dark, I have black spots in my body especially at root of the body hair. It is spreading all over the body like arms, shoulder, back etc. right now I am not taking any medicines for this. Kindly advise to cure this disease. Thanks in advance.
Posted Sat, 2 Mar 2013 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Rahul Kumar 46 minutes later

Black dots at the root of hair can be due to following reasons.

1.Lichen planopilaris.- This is an autoimmune condition where there occurs pigmentation around hair follicle, sometimes itchy.
2.Follicular atrophoderma.- In this condition, there occurs follicular pigmentation with slight depression of skin.
3.Amyloidosis.- This is an abnormality of protein metabolism, where sheets of pigmentation is seen. usually asymptomatic but sometimes itchy.
4.Post inflammatory hyperpigmentation.- This occurs following a bacterial folliculitis.

Now to differentiate between above conditions, a biopsy is must.

Here are my suggestions..
1.You could probably post a picture of the lesion, so that I can comment specifically. You have a feature to upload the picture by yourself on the right side of this query page.
2.If possible XXXXXXX a Dermatologist, as I mentioned earlier, biopsy is must to find out an exact cause.

Wishing you a good health.

Thank you
Follow-up: Having black spots all over body. Is there any medicine to cure this disease? 7 hours later
Dear Dr.

I have uploaded 2 pictures of my right arm which containing black dots. It is persisting for more than 3 years but no itching.
Answered by Dr. Rahul Kumar 48 minutes later
Thanks for the photographs.

It is quiet a simple condition, known as keratosis pilaris.
Don’t worry and there is no need for biopsy.

Apply ointment silkee (urea +lactic acid) or ointment cotaryl, which ever you get, twice daily. You will get relief in a month’s time.

Hope I answered your query.
If you find it useful, kindly rate the discussion before closing it.

Wishing you good health .
Thank you.