Having black and itchy skin on toe. Not cured by creams. What could it be?

Hi - I have itchy skin (black color) on my right toe. When I apply some cream, it gets better but comes right back on. What could it be?
Posted Thu, 26 Jul 2012 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Pravin Banodkar 13 hours later

The possibilities include lichen simplex chronicus that results in pigmented itchy skin and is a recurrent problem. The other possibility includes pigment contact dermatitis that can occur due to contact with particular substance like from shoes (rubber content).

The best method to treat the condition is with a moderately potent steroid application on the area twice day for at least 3 weeks.

You should also keep the area hydrated by using an intensive moisturizer.

To reduce the itching you can take an antihistamine from your General Physician once at night for 15 days.

Hope I was able to solve your query. Do feel free to leave a feedback in follow up.

Thanks and Take care