Having bites. What could this be?

Hi i was actually wondering what this bite looks like?
Posted Tue, 23 Jul 2013 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Kalpana Pathak 17 minutes later
I have gone through the image attached. It could either be blister beetle dermatitis( caused by an insect blister beetle) or contact irritant dermatitis( caused by irritant like detergent soap, medicine, dettol, savlon etc).

The treatment in both the cases remain the same. Clean the area with warm water and apply a steroid antibiotic cream. in couple of days, the lesion will dry and resolve. If itchy take an oral antihistamine like cetirizine. You may also fet the fluid drained from big blisters by using a sterile needle or syringe.
Hope that answered your query.
take care
Follow-up: Having bites. What could this be? 7 minutes later
Okay my son has 4 bite marks two on his hand one back and one calf as shown in the first picture. Here are the other pictures I have recieved 2 different diagnoses one a brown revluse bite second spider but no one knows. I just wasnt sure its getting worse this morning the 3 looked like mosquito bites now they are puss filled blisters with the black XXXXXXX in the middle
Answered by Dr. Kalpana Pathak 22 hours later
Thanks for writing back and accept my apologies for delayed response.
Brown recluse bite or spider bite is just the same as brown recluse is a type of spider. It could be a possibility too. In mild cases it is characterised by pain swelling, blister formation and ulceration of the affected area. In severe cases can lead to fever, chills, vomiting, joint pains etc.
Let me tell you, developing a blister at a site of insect bite is due to toxin produced by an insect and it can happen with bites of multiple types of insects. So we can keep it simple as insect bite induced blisters.
The management would remain the same in blister beetle dermatitis or recluse spider bite ie
clean the area with warm water
apply topical steroid antibiotic cream
if itchy child may take cetirizine. If painful, he may take syrup ibuprofen.
if blisters are too big, drain the fluid using sterile needle.

if there are any systemic symptoms like fever, joint pain etc make it a point to contact health care provider. usually brown recluse bite ulcerates, if there is no ulceration; it could be simple blister beetle bite.

hope that answered your query.