Having bilateral sensorineural moderate to severe hearing loss. Is there any medication to prevent this?

ENT Specialist
Question
I have - bilateral sensonueral moderate to severe hearing loss.
Its due to heredity. I have observed that the loss increases with age.
Is there any medicine to prevent further loss.
Posted Thu, 30 Aug 2012 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems

Answered by Dr. Naveen Kumar 3 hours later
Hi

Thanks for the query

Hereditary causes of hearing loss are rare and have to be evaluated to look for any other problems apart from those concerned with the ear.

The rule of the nerves is ' once a nerve is damaged, it is damaged for ever'. Hence the same rule applies in your condition also. There are hardly any medicines present in the market to prevent the hearing loss. The best way of prevention is to find out which type of hereditary hearing loss you are suffering from and try to get medications for that.

Secondly, you need to use digitally programmable hearing aids for preventing further hearing loss.

Take plenty of fresh fruits and vegetables; it helps in rejuvenation of the nerves. Consult a good ENT specialist as well as an endocrinologist for a complete evaluation and further management.

Hope I have answered your query; I will be available for the follow-up queries.

Dr. Naveen Kumar N.
ENT and Head & Neck Surgeon

Follow-up: Having bilateral sensorineural moderate to severe hearing loss. Is there any medication to prevent this? 6 days later
My Brother Has the same problem and he consulted an ENT doctor. The doctor suggested Meconerve forte tablets for 180 day to prevent further loss. Can I follow the same prescription.

Answered by Dr. Naveen Kumar 5 hours later
Hi

Thanks for writing back

Meconerve forte (mecobalamine) is a vitamin B-complex tablet. You can definitely try taking those vitamins. It will help in nourishing the nerves. Instead, you can also try taking a cup of sprouted seeds everyday which is as good as taking the B-complex tablet.

I wish you good health.

Dr. Naveen Kumar N.
ENT and Head & Neck Surgeon