Having big red bump with black seed in the middle of the foot. What can this be?

Jul 2013

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement
my son has a big red bump with a black seed looking thing in the middle on the bottom of his foot. Does anyone know what this is? He says it hurts a little
Posted Wed, 11 Sep 2013 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. K. Naga Ravi Prasad 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Most likely a PLANTAR WART

Detailed Answer:
Hi, thanks for writing to XXXXXXX

A bump in the sole of foot with a black pinpoint in the middle is highly suggestive of Plantar wart.

These plantar warts are generally caused by Human papilloma virus (HPV) in the skin of the sole of foot.

Each person's immune system responds differently to HPV, so not everyone who comes in contact with the virus develops warts.

Plantar warts often don't need any treatment as they tend to disappear with time. However, if they are causing severe pain or spreading, they need to be treated.

There are different modes of treatment for warts such as Cryoablation, Immunotherapy, Electrocauterization and curettage, local application of cantharidin & salicylic acid & laser treatment. Which method of treatment will best suit your son will be decided by the treating physician.

I suggest you to consult a dermatologist for further management.

Hope I have justified your query. I welcome any more clarification