Having bartholin cyst o labia. Having vaginal discharge, with foul smell and itching. What should be done?

Pain Medicine & Palliative Care Specialist
hi,, m having bartholin cyst on the left labia since 20 days now its reduced in size but not reducing it further. now m having vaginal discharge, bad smell, itching, n small pain on the right side of vagina.... what should be it bothersome..also when i touch the cyst feel like some small bulges...
Posted Fri, 21 Jun 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Kerry Pottinger 33 minutes later

Bartholin's cysts can cause the symptoms you describe and these can be distressing. The cysts can become inflamed and sometimes infected resulting in an abscess. I cannot say whether yours is infected but if it is then your doctor may wish to prescribe antibiotics.
If the pain is getting worse then you may consider pain-killers. Paracetamol may help or ibuprofen.
Occasionally, a small operation is needed to treat the Bartholin's cyst.
As your problems appear to be getting worse, I would like to suggest you visit your doctor for further advice.
I hope this has helped with your problem. If you have any further questions, please do not hesitate to contact me.

Dr K A Pottinger MBChB