Having balck eye, swelling on face and numbness after hitting face to wall. Have blood clots. Should I see a doctor?

Question
I fell Thursday night when I went to let my dogs outside and hit the left side of my face on hardwood floor. I have a black eye, swelling in the left side of my face, numbness in the left side of the upper teeth. Also have blood clots coming out of left nostril when I blow my nose. I'm thinking since it hasn't been 48 hours yet this could be normal. Should I go to a doctor?
Posted Fri, 27 Sep 2013 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems

Answered by Dr. Prasad 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
We can wait...

Detailed Answer:

Serious intracranial injuries present instantly within few hours. They rarely present after 48 hours. Since you have had no symptoms for the past 48 hours, I would safely presume that you are safe and that you did not suffer a serious intracranial injury.

I am only concerned that you seem to have sustained a bad injury externally. The subcutaneous bleed has been heavy to cause black eye and swollen face besides nasal blood vessels seem to have ruptured causing blood clots. If there are no issues with insurance, I would urge you to visit a doctor and get the severity of injury assessed. However I am confident that you do not have a serious threatening injury.

Before I conclude, I would like to point out that, minor concussion symptoms can present a bit later say within the next 2-3 weeks. Headache, dizziness and fogginess are the usual concussion symptoms. If the late symptoms are troubling, you can choose to see a doctor who can put you on symptomatic treatment.

Hope this helped. Let me know if you need clarifications.

Follow-up: Having balck eye, swelling on face and numbness after hitting face to wall. Have blood clots. Should I see a doctor? 5 hours later
Thank You Dr. XXXXXXX This was very helpful.

Answered by Dr. Prasad 7 hours later
Brief Answer:
You are welcome...

Detailed Answer:
I'm glad it helped you...

You can write back to me if you need assistance in future. For now please close this discussion so that I can earn my credits.

Thank you and good luck