Having balancing problem. No eye problem. Get one and a half vision spells. What can be done?

My problem started small, several years ago and has progressed to-date. It started as slight imbalance on uneven ground(I was working in my garden. It worsened to the point that at times I would feel as if I was about to fall. I now am so paranoid about losing my balance that I use a walking stick My father had inner ear issues. I also get one and a half vision spells and that really frightens me when driving Just had a thorough eye exam and other than the use of 2. readers from time to time I have no eye problems. Got an ideas? Thanks.
By, the way I am very lean, a vegetarian, exercise daily and when I am on my horse I have no balance issues.
Only when I have to traverse on my own feet.
Posted Fri, 26 Jul 2013 in Vision and Eye Disorders
Answered by Dr. Anantharamakrishnan 4 hours later
Hi friend,
Welcome to Health Care Magic

The first thing to do will be to see your GP – postural hypo-tension (need to check BP standing an lying) / anaemia ( check haemoglobin) / disorder of rhythm (ECG)....Probably all these have already been addressed.
     The body's balancing mechanism is in the inner ear. An ENT (Ear Nose Throat) specialist is the one to see next - they have special tests to confirm or exclude the contribution of the ear...
     If there are no clues, you have to be seen by a neurologist. Brain stem (lower part of brain) has to be investigated / MRI is generally necessary / MRA (MRI angiography) shows blood vessels and is generally done at the same sitting. With normal eye examination and history of spell, the most likely culprit is the brain (probably is from vascular insuffiency)

Wishing speedy recovery
God bless
Good luck