Having bad stomach pain, bloating and heavy spotting. Medical test normal. Worrisome

iv been having bad stomach pain,bloating, and spoting witch became heavy
i went to the doctor they did blood work,preps smear and did a catheter and they said that everything was fine but they wouldnt do a ultra sound cause i was not pregnant but im still having that bad pain in my stomach and bloating and still spotting heavy
Posted Tue, 20 Nov 2012 in Abdominal Pain
Answered by Dr. Asra Ishtiaq Ahmed 2 hours later
Hello there.

The bloating and abdominal pain are related to the heavy periods you have.

Menstruation is associated with release of prostaglandin hormone and chemical mediators which can cause bloating, bowel upset (diarrhea) and pain.

You should have got an ultrasound done to look for pelvic causes of heavy periods like fibroid uterus, ovarian cysts, polycystic ovarian disease.

But as you say your doctor did not advise ultrasound after doing your physical and XXXXXXX examination, I presume there was no indication for the same.

Wait for your reports.

Meanwhile you can use tranexamic acid + mefenamic acid combination drug which would reduce your pain and bleeding.

If your heavy periods and pain persist for the subsequent cycles, then ultrasound is needed.
Thyroid function tests would also help as heavy periods are a very common presentation of thyroid disorders.

I hope I have answered your query.

Follow-up: Having bad stomach pain, bloating and heavy spotting. Medical test normal. Worrisome 21 hours later
but i had my period two weeks ago so it not the time of the month
Answered by Dr. Asra Ishtiaq Ahmed 1 hour later
Hello again.

If its 2 weeks since your menses, then its your mid cycle time when ovulation (egg release) occurs. This is associated with rise in hormones which can cause pain and bloating.

However if your pain is persisting despite taking medication (antispasmodics) then it needs evaluation by an ultrasound.
Also if you have started to spot again after your periods which was 2 weeks back with pain then it is another indication for an ultrasound.
You can discuss this with your doctor when you go for a review related to reports.

At the same time, it is equally important to understand that certain foods like legumes(peas, beans and lentils) and pulses can cause gaseous distention and bloating. So dietary changes can be made to correct the same.