Having bad lower back and under stomach. What could this be?

Question
HI MY NAME IS XXXXXXX I AM HAVING VERY BAD PAIN IN MY LOWER BACK. IT RADIATES ACROSS MY BACK AND WILL SUDDENLY SHOOT DOWN MY LEFT BUTT CHEEK. I ALSO HAVE PAIN UNDER THE STONMACH. IT GETS WORSE WHEN I GET UP FROM A SITTING POSITION.
Posted Sun, 28 Jul 2013 in General Health

Answered by Dr. Jay Patel 1 hour later
Hi XXXXXXX

The pain in the lower back which radiates to the back and down butt cheek, is caused due to nerve impingement some where in the vertebral column due to lumbar disk herniation and is known as SCIATICA.

You will need to consult "spinal surgeon" or "neurologist" and they will advice you to have the MRI of spine to locate the position of the disk which is herniated. After that please follow their advice.

Hope it helps and please feel free to contact me in case of further concerns.

Thanks for the query

Dr XXXXXXX XXXXXXX