Having bad breath. Bloods saliva tests and halibacterium tested clear. Could this be a form of OCD?

hi i have been with a lovely man for 18 months now just one problem he is convinced that i have bacteria in my body causing bad breath. i have been to the gp 7 times now and to the dentist. my gp has done full bloods seliva tests ans halibacterium test which have all come back clear. my dentist informs me my teeth are perfect and there are no issues there too. i have asked family and close friends ans they all tell me that i am fine. my boyfried however says i do have a problem and everyone is jusr being polite. he even told me that my skin smells, he only seems to be happy when i am taking antibiotics as he then says its killing the bacteria. please helo me a i love him dearly and do not want to lose hime but he is slowly distroying me a a person. i like to take pride in my apperance and this is killing me. could this be a form of OCD? he had a very bad childhood and i am not sure if it stems from that as he lived in lots of squats and never had any stability in his life. i want to support him in any way i can so any suggestions would be grateful. kind regards ....XXXXXX
Posted Tue, 14 Aug 2012 in Anxiety and Stress
Answered by Dr. Divya Kuttikrishnan 30 minutes later

Thanks for writing in.

Please do not ruin your health by unnecessarily taking antibiotics for bad skin/bad breath. He should love you for the wonderful person that you are, not put you down each time by saying you have bad breath and smelly skin.

You have your dentist, family and close friends to vouch for your good breath. It is quiet normal for everybody to have bad breath early morning as soon as they wake up or if they have not been talking and kept the mouth closed for a long time , as there will be decreased salivary production.

Things you can do : Maintain good hygiene by taking a shower everyday. Brush your teeth in the morning and at night. Use a mouthwash, if necessary for fresh breath. Drink water at regular intervals.

I think it would be better if you could take your boyfriend to a psychologist for counselling.

Hope I have answered your question. In case you don't have any further queries , kindly accept my answer. Any reviews are welcome.

Have a great day.

Dr. Divya Kuttikrishnan.
Follow-up: Having bad breath. Bloods saliva tests and halibacterium tested clear. Could this be a form of OCD? 23 minutes later
thank you for your reply, can this behaviour be a symptom on OCD? as he does have some other controlling ways. i know this all sound silly and if i were advising i would be saying the same thing but when you are emotionaly involved it is very difficult. i do want to help him and i am looking for any answers support i can find.
Answered by Dr. Divya Kuttikrishnan 20 minutes later

You might be right. This could be a symptom of OCD . So I suggest that you take him to a psychologist first and then if necessary to a psychiatrist. The psychologist can analyse his condition and decide if cognitive behaviour therapy alone is required; or if he needs to be referred to a psychiatrist.

In the meantime, I would also suggest that both of you join for yoga/relaxation/meditation classes as it would help you relax.

Hope this helps.