Having bad bones, crooked spine and with surgery on back. Mother and grandmother have Alzheimer. Help?

Nov 2013

Mother ( late stage) and both Grandmother (around 63 years) has/has Alzhemersr. Will I get it as well from decedents? I am 63 with bad bones, crooked spine, previous surgery on back, complete hist at 29. So far I can think and study. I am unpaid caregiver for 81 year Mother. Please help my peace of mind. Thank you.
Posted Tue, 6 Aug 2013 in Brain and Spine
Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 7 hours later
Thank you for posting your query.
I can understand your concern, especially after you have two close relatives with Alzheimer's disease (AD).
However, it should be noted that less than 10% of all cases of AD are genetic or familial. So, your risk of acquiring the disease is very low.
A few genetic tests/blood tests can help, such as testing for APOE4 (apolipoprotein E-e4), presenilin-1 and presenilin-2.
Most importantly, eat healthy and exercise regularly. Playing sudoku and solving crossword puzzles would also help prevent dementia.
I hope it helps.
Please get back if you require any additional information.

Best wishes,

Dr Sudhir Kumar MD (Internal Medicine), DM (Neurology) XXXXXXX Consultant Neurologist
Apollo Hospitals, Hyderabad,
My personal URL on this website:
My email: YYYY@YYYY
My blog: WWW.WWWW.WW
Follow-up: Having bad bones, crooked spine and with surgery on back. Mother and grandmother have Alzheimer. Help? 8 hours later
Thank you - Thank you - Thank you.
Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 59 minutes later
Thank you and best wishes......
Dr Sudhir Kumar MD DM (Neurology)