Having back pain when lie down and when after passing stools. Suggest?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Back pain when I lie down and when after passing stools
Posted Sun, 4 Aug 2013 in Back Pain
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 1 hour later
The pain in the back after passing stools could be related to the stress while passing the hard stools. This can cause a muscle strain or fatigue causing the pain. The electrolyte imbalance or decrease in the fluid level can also cause such a pain.
You can have plenty of electrolyte XXXXXXX fluids orally before going to toilet. Proper posture and regular back strengthening exercises will also help. You can do these under the guidance of your pysiotherapist.
In case the pain is persistent then consult your orthopedician for a physical examination to detect the exact cause
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.
Follow-up: Having back pain when lie down and when after passing stools. Suggest? 3 minutes later
I have had this for over a year. Could this be serious?
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 11 minutes later
Thanks for writing again.
If it is persistent for last more than one year then a back related pathology like disc prolapse needs to be ruled out so that early treatment can be initiated. It is not likely to be a very serious problem.
Hope my answer is helpful.
Do accept my answer in case there are no further queries.