Having back pain, hurts when stretched. What causes to have this sort of pain?

Oncologist, Surgical
On the left side of my back in the middle I have a lot of pain. If I stretch to much it hurts a great deal and feels like something Is out of place. What organ is behind there? How do u tell if it's muscle or rib or organ? It feels deep. Thanks!
Posted Wed, 22 May 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Rohan Khandelwal 6 days later
Dear Ma'am,

Sorry to hear about your problem. Judging by the location and nature of your pain, it looks like you are suffering from either a back muscle spasm or a herniated disc. Both these condition can cause the pain you are describing. It is not due to any organ but due to the disc pressing on the nerves.
You need to take rest for a few days and consult a neurologist or an orthopedic doctor. They will order an MRI of the spine to assess the condition and start you on some strong pain killers and muscle relaxants. After a few days, you can start physiotherapy and back strengthening exercises, which will help in recurrence of the symptoms.
It is better that you get yourself evaluated by a doctor otherwise this condition can worsen in the future.

Hoping for the best. Please feel free to clarify any other query.