Having back pain and noticed discoloration on lower back. Any ideas?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Hi, I am slightly concerned about some discoloration on my lower back. It seems to be centred around my Kidneys, hence the concern. It started like a rash but without any itching or discomfort and now more closely resembles a reddish patch of bruising and does not hurt but rather feels like a welt. I have suffered from lower back pain in the past and am aware that my job causes the muscles there some strain as I stand for long hours but I have never seen this before. Any ideas?
Posted Tue, 11 Dec 2012 in Back Pain
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 4 hours later
The discoloration on your back is not likely to be associated with any kidney problems.
The pain in the lower back is often found in people whose work involves physical effort. In some cases it can be due to weakness of muscles of the back. Regular exercise to strengthen the back muscles often help. It can be due to trauma too. In other cases it can be due to slipped disc, osteoporosis, any deformity of spine , infection or growth. The discoloration sounds like collection of blood under skin from trauma which is gradually getting absorbed. It can also come from excessive use of heating pad.
You can wait for 4-5 weeks for the discoloration to fade spontaneously and avoid applying any heat pads. In case the discoloration persists, then do consult a dermatologist for proper diagnosis and prescription medicines.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.