Having back pain and noticed blood tinged sputum. Any suggestion?

ENT Specialist
Question
Hi My friend spits blood with cold.She doesnt have any symptoms.She has back pain. She have also been talking tablets for sometime now.I would like to hear suggestions.
Thanks.
Posted Sun, 13 Jan 2013 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems

Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 5 hours later

Thank you for your query.

1. If there is only blood tinged sputum in the morning then there is no cause for worry.

2. After a severe cold, this is commonly seen. Body ache or a back pain is usually seen in a viral infection.

3. Get her throat and nose examined by an ENT Specialist to rule out any cause such as a sinusitis or granular pharyngitis.

4. If the bleeding is a lot, or does not decrease and stop after the cold has subsided, get her Routine Blood Tests, a Coagulogram, Thyroid & Liver Function Tests, Sinus X-rays or a Plain CT and a Nasal endoscopy done and share the reports here for further advice.

I hope that I have answered your queries. If you have any further questions, I will be available to answer them.

Regards.

Follow-up: Having back pain and noticed blood tinged sputum. Any suggestion? 46 minutes later
Hi Doctor,
Cheers for the reply.
The given below were the medicines that are taken by her as it was prescribed by the local doctors.

Omez d,moxikind,lorfast -when she was having severe cold

Then Dart and Mebryl when she got pain in her cheeks which I think is because of Sinus.
I know few tablets that are meant for cold/running nose cause back pain to few people.
But she is been spitting blood with cold for around 2-3 weeks now,and the cold has almost subsided a week before.

What do you think? Does it have to deal with liver or kidney problems or ulcer problems?
Thank you.

Best,
XXXXXXX

Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 14 hours later

Thank you for writing back.

1. If the blood tinged sputum is bright red, then the source may be the nose, mouth, throat, lungs or food-pipe.

2. If the source of the blood is a stomach ulcer or beyond, the blood will be dark brown due to the action of gastric acid.

3. Get her examined by an ENT Specialist as she had a severe cold and has signs of sinusitis.

4. Medication such as anti-histamines (Lorfast & Mebryl) tend to dry out the nose and sinuses leading to bleeding. Medications like Dart may cause gastritis, ulcers and liver damage. Hence discontinue all medication till she gets examined.

5. It is better to get her investigated as per the plan mentioned above and then discuss the options as per the results.

Regards.