Having back pain and bleeding. Noticed thick long mucus with transparent and pink discharge. Not sure it is periods?

I am regular on my periods. I have not had a period since March 20th (last date). Yesterday I had ovary pain and a thick long mucus discharge that had was transparent and pink. Today I have back pain and bleeding. Not sure if this is my period starting or if I need to see a doctor. Thanks
Posted Sun, 9 Jun 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Shoaib Khan 9 hours later
Hello and welcome to XXXXXXX

Thank you for writing to us.

I have gone through your query and I would like to inform you that a pinkish discharge is present in two cases:
1. In the first few days of a period
2. In case of infections

As you had this pinkish discharge which occurred on day 1, along with pain in your lower abdomen/pelvic region; which was followed by back pain and bleeding, this should most probably be your period. but, we should rule out other causes as well. Is this bleeding similar to your regular period?

A most recent delay in your period could at times, be due to some underlying condition. As the other possibilities are infections, you could visit your doctor to get yourself checked, as infections are one of the most common cause for delayed periods. Have you been experiencing any other symptoms?

I hope I have succeeded in providing the information you were looking for. Please feel free to write back to me for any further clarifications. I would gladly help you.

Best wishes.