Having back pain and arthritis. Take morphine and tylenol. Cannot take percoset, using cold compressor and heat. Suggest?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Back pain MCL waiting for physio and arthritis age 73 female take morphine 10 and Tylenol 4 a few hours ago took 2 morphine and 2 T4 and am still in pain - can not take Percoset. Using cold compresses and heat.
Posted Sun, 21 Jul 2013 in Arthritis
Answered by Dr. Vaibhav Gandhi 50 minutes later

Thanks for posting your query on XXXXXXX

I have studied your case.

Back pain can have many causes. If you can provide more details about your symptoms, I will be better able to help you. Also if you can answer the following questions:

1. Do you have morning stiffness?

2. Are you having pain and numbness in legs?

3. Is pain aggravated on exertion?

It is possible that you are having acute nerve impingement. Our spine has multiple nerves, which are supplying our whole body. Due to disc bulge or another cause these nerves get compressed and lead to pain and spasm. Other causes are also possible, which include muscle sprain occurring due to exertion.

Take adequate pain-killer and add muscle relaxant after consulting your doctor. Inj methyl-cobalamine will help in reducing neuropathic pain.

If possible, consult an orthopedic surgeon for clinical examination.

I will advise you X-RAY spine and MRI spine.

Our patients find good relief with physiotherapy like Interference Therapy, Ultrasonic Therapy.

Arthritic pain reduces with joint rotation exercises and stretching movements .
Check your serum calcium and vit D3 level, as osteoporosis is common in old age.

Hope I have answered your query, let me know if I can assist you further.