Having back pain and MRI report showing intervertebral disc is dessicated. Is necessary to go for surgery?

Excellent

Spine Surgeon
Question
Hi, This my age is 25. I am having back pain since 3 months so visited doctor and got my MRI scan report. Please find the report details here L2/3 Intervertebral disc is dessicated, Diffusely bulginh with a samll posterocentral protrusion causing mild anterior thecal indentation and billateral mild neuroforaminal stenosis L3/4 Intervertebral disc is dessicated, Diffusely bulginh with a focal tear in the posterior annulus and a right paracentral protrusion causing moderate anterior thecal compression , moderate right and mild left neuroforaminal stenosis L4/5 Intervertebral disc is dessicated, Diffusely bulginh with a focal tear in the posterior annulus and a right paracentral protrusion causing moderate anterior thecal compression , moderate right and mild left neuroforaminal stenosis Do i need to take a surgery? I went for phisio therapy for a week and doing some exercises. Didnt help! All my neural senses are perfectly alrgiht. PLease help . I am bit worried abt my age and kind of problem i have
Posted Tue, 10 Dec 2013 in Back Pain

Answered by Dr. S K Mishra 51 minutes later
Brief Answer: Only back pain then conservative,proceed carefully Detailed Answer: Thanks for query, Your MRI report tells annular tear and mild to moderate compression at more than 1 level. If you have only back pain (no pain in legs) then wait . You may try ultrasound therapy for back along with muscle relaxant. Annular tear may cause it. Only back pain (no pain in legs) is not a good indication for surgey. Now if you have leg pain you may carefully discuss with spine surgeon in detail 1. radicular pain ie pain is there on rest and aggravated by coughing ,sneezing (due to neuroforaminal compression leading to root compression) and that too more on rt side (because there is more compression on rt compared to left ) 2. Claudication pain ie no pain on rest, pain only after some distance of walking (due to secondary canal stenosis) In any case you sit supported , avoid forward bending, reduce weight if it is extra. Hope I was able to answer your query.

Follow-up: Having back pain and MRI report showing intervertebral disc is dessicated. Is necessary to go for surgery? 2 hours later
I have pain in left leg If i sit for some time pain increases.. Walking or doing any exrecise will not give me pain until i really stress my back My question is 1. Is my disc slippage/damage in L3/4 & L 4/5 is really severe? 2. Why did this problem occurred at very early age..i do play badminton every day and go to gym..i stopped it 2 months back due to pain..no accidents happened earlier 3, i heard these disc bulging can be cured by injections..is it true?? If yes wat are the possible results..wil it be cured completely? If you want i will send u the clear pictures of MRI scan,.im really worried abt my age n kind of back pain i have

Answered by Dr. S K Mishra 8 hours later
Brief Answer: disc prolapse not severe, try non operative measures first Detailed Answer: Your answers are 1. Your disc prolapse is not severe 2.Due to erect posture of humans degenerative disc problems start in any one by 30. 3.Yes injections are a valid option. There is is nothing called permanent lifetime cure in such cases even surgery, because you have almost 25 discs in spine, the removal one disc may cause adjacent disc herniation in long term. See your problem is not severe , have patience and try non operative measures first including injection . And do not forget proper sitting with back supported.

Follow-up: Having back pain and MRI report showing intervertebral disc is dessicated. Is necessary to go for surgery? 7 hours later
Hi thanks for the prompt reply. Have some more questions I am a software engineer and i do travel by bike to office which takes 20 mins. I used to go to Gym every and badminton. As i said i stopped it due to pain. After the treatment shall i be able to play and do these activities normally? Please tell me the Do's and Dont's

Answered by Dr. S K Mishra 20 minutes later
Brief Answer: Stop bike use Detailed Answer: 1.Stop bike use that seems to be root cause of problems because you sit unsupported on bike unlike car or bus. 2. Do not bend forward. 3. Stop playing games for few months. You will be able to play with some precautions. 4.Stop smoking. 5.Avoid getting overweight. Do`s 1.Always sit supported.May adjust your working computer little higher or anyway work in such a way that your back rests on chair .Use proper chair with lumbar support or small back pillow. 2. May carry back extension exercises if it is not aggravating pain. 3.May use pillow under folded knee while sleeping. Hoping for best.