Having back pain after car accident. Which medicine should I take?

Feb 2014

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement
I have back pain from a car accident a couple of months ago. Can i get a prescription from a doctor here?
Posted Wed, 13 Mar 2013 in Back Pain
Answered by Dr. Saurabh Gupta 25 minutes later
Hi and wecome to XXXXXXX

Although it isn't possible to diagnose your condition without an examination and a few tests. As you've had a serious trauma -- such as a car accident, your doctor will want to take a serious look at your back pain.

X-ray are taken to look for fractures. If no fractures are found, you may manage your pain with medication and later your recovery with physical therapy.

After a thorough physical examination by your Orthopedician, you may be prescribed pain killers and/or muscle relaxants which should give you relief. Physiotherapy may also be advised if necessary. I would suggest you to try swimming as this will help most in back conditions.

Hope this will help you. Please do write back if you have any additional concerns.
Please close the query if you have no other questions.

Wishing you good health...

Dr Saurabh Gupta.
Orthopaedic Surgeon.
Follow-up: Having back pain after car accident. Which medicine should I take? 1 hour later
After the accident I had x-rays taken and I was the time I had insurance so this was all covered. No fractures were found and my doctor told me I had whiplash from my head jerking forward and he prescribed me muscle relaxers and hydrocodone. I also saw a chiropractor every week for the first month after the accident in the hopes that adjustments would help. I lost my insurance recently and I cannot renew my prescription for pain meds without seeing a doctor. I stopped taking the muscle relaxers because I couldn't work while taking them and they really didn't seem to help much. The hydrocodone helped and I'm hoping I can get another prescription to help me get through until I am completely healed. Thanks.
Answered by Dr. Saurabh Gupta 9 hours later
Thanks for posting your query again.

In many cases, whiplash will eventually get better on its own or after some basic treatment.

However, sometimes whiplash can cause a number of severe and troublesome symptoms that last for a long time.

Whiplash that lasts for six months or more is sometimes known as chronic whiplash or late whiplash syndrome.

If you have whiplash, it is important you keep your neck mobile by doing some gentle neck exercises.

Your neck may be painful, but keeping it mobile from an early stage will improve its functionality and speed up your recovery. Any pain you experience when moving your neck is normal and will not cause further damage.

I cannot prescribe you hydrocodone , a stronger pain killer without examine you personally. Your GP will be able to prescribe you this drug after examine you.

Hope this will help you.

Wishing you good health...

Dr Saurabh Gupta.
Orthopaedic Surgeon.