Having back pain. Not cured by medicines and physiotherapy. Any advice?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Hi, this is XXXXXXX from India. I am Suffering from pain in lower back & bottom from last 3 months. Presently consulting with the local orthopedic doctors. But no signs of improvements. Undergoing treatment is medicines and physiotherapy like traction, diathermy & ultrasound. Please advise further.
Posted Mon, 1 Apr 2013 in Back Pain
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 22 minutes later
The findings of your MRI are suggestive of degenerative changes of the spine at the level of L4-L5.
You have a mild degree of disc prolapse with stenosis of the foramina from which nerves come out causing the nerve compression which is responsible for the pain you are having.
The main treatment of such pain is bed rest along with pain killers and muscle relaxants. Muscle relaxants can help with your symptoms if used in appropriate dosage in combination with a potent analgesic.
You can get the appropriate drugs prescribed from your Orthopedician after examination.
Meanwhile you can follow these measures:
- If the pain is severe, you need bed rest till the pain resolves.
- Get some analgesics prescribed and apply analgesic spray or ointments.
- While resting, keep a pillow under your knees if it doesn't bother you.
- Avoid lifting heavy objects.
- Back strengthening exercises and stretching exercises for your hamstrings daily as advised by a Physiotherapist.
- Avoid exercises in times of pain.
- Improvise your posture while sitting.
- Using an LS contour belt of appropriate size might be helpful in providing support to back muscles.
Also, maintain a proper posture while working, sitting and standing. Keep your back straight. If you work for long hours on the computer, the following link will tell you the posture to maintain while working:
WWW.WWWW.WW Back strengthening exercises will also help.
Physiotherapy is also plays a major role in treating such conditions. Epidural steroid injections have been used if oral pain killers are not very effective. Discuss with your orthopedician and an appropriate treatment can be planned depending on the response to medical drugs.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.