Having back pain. MRI showed lumbar disc degeneration with prolapsed intervertebral disc. Is this serious?

Feb 2014

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement
My name is XXXXXXX recently I did MRI for having pain in my back and I have got the impression that...
1) Straightening of lumber spine. Disc dessication with reduction of disc space in L5-S1 intervertebral discs.
2) Posterocentral annular tear with extrusion in L5-S1 causing ventral spinal canal stenosis. No evidence of neural foramina compromise.
could you please tell me, if it is a serious problem. If there is any therapy for this.
Posted Sun, 24 Mar 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Saurabh Gupta 1 hour later
Welcome to XXXXXXX and thanks for posting your query.

I understand you have back pain . Your MRI reports are suggestive of lumbar disc degeneration with prolapsed intervertebral disc( PIVD) where the nerves get compressed by the protruded disc.

There are several treatment modalities with medicines, physiotherapy and with injections in the back called epidural injections and root/facet blocks.

The medications will relieve pain and help muscles to relax. Physiotherapy shall also help a lot, especially exercises that strengthen your back. I would suggest you to try swimming as this will help most in back conditions. Adequate rest and proper nutrition is equally important. Drink lots of fluids since dehydration affects the disc.

I advice you to follow these measures-
• Lie on a hard bed.
• Anti -inflammatory drugs like Tablet ibuprofen 1 tablet as and when required
• Avoid forward bending.
• Avoid strenuous activity & lifting heavy weights.
• Apply diclofenac gel on the affected area. Warm compresses will also help.

If you dont get better with these treatment , surgery is a good option, by which the nerves are decompressed by removing the protruded disc (discectomy), which would significantly improve your symptoms.

Hope this will help you. Please do write back if you have any additional concerns.

Wishing you speedy recovery...

Dr Saurabh Gupta.
Orthopaedic Surgeon.