Having back pain. MRI confirmed inflammatory. Advised to stop feeding the baby. Curable?

Hi Doctor, my wife was having back pain, when consulted with a spine specialist, referred for a MRI. MRI confirmed there is a inflammatory (in the sitting area). Again Doctor advised for a blood test where it confirmed rheumatoid factor is 20.0 IU/ml (immuno trubidimetry method). so doctor advised us to stop feeding to baby so that to start proper medication. Is that curable? for the past 30days she is taking Siddha medicine, Siddha doctor told it is curable however it will take long duration (atleast 3 years). And i prefer to continue Siddha for next 20 days. But she is having same pain (back pain & pain in sitting area). Is that it is emergency to start allopathy or we can go after 20 days? pls advice & comment. I have MRI and blood test results soft copy. Pls advice if you need to refer.
Posted Sat, 12 Oct 2013 in Lupus
Answered by Dr. Divya Agarwal 33 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Not RA

Detailed Answer:
I am sorry to say that you are probably not on the right track.

Rheumatoid arthritis is an autoimmune disease that rarely affects the back; it causes pain and swelling in the small joints of hands and feet.
An RF of 20 is definitely not diagnostic of RA.
In fact, if she has a backache we should be more concerned about a disease called ankylosing spondylitis, however that too has specific clinical features and I suggest you consult a rheumatologist in your area for the same.
As far as allopathy and siddha medicines are concerned, I think it would be better to get a diagnosis before we start treatment.
You can definitely send me your reports. You have a feature to upload the reports by yourself on the right side of this query page. You may want to utilize it.

Follow-up: Having back pain. MRI confirmed inflammatory. Advised to stop feeding the baby. Curable? 59 minutes later
Thanks for the reply. I ve attached the MRI impression report & blood test reports (she has vitamin D deficiency also) for your review.

Pain in Knee, hands & feet stiffness severe in the morning when wake up, back pain (in sitting area) and also in spine. Doctor prescribed Signoflam, when taken, pain is less for 3 days. But later again same pain in these areas. He planned for cortisone treatment, but we are yet to turned back to him.
Answered by Dr. Divya Agarwal 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
To me the diagnosis is ankylosing spondylitis

Detailed Answer:

It is confirmed that she has ankylosing spondylitis; on her MRI she has sacroiliitis which is the hallmark of this disease.
You can also read about this disease.

You need to understand that in layman terms painkillers are not painkillers for this disease.
Painkillers like signoflam are disease modifying drugs, which can prevent damage to the joint if taken according to prescription of the doctor.
I once again strongly suggest you consult a rheumatologist in your area as he will be able to give you proper guidance.

Also cortisone has no great role in this disease.

It is more of exercises for the back and affected joints. As I stated NSAIDS (painkillers), some other medicines like sulfasalazine, calcium and supplements of vitamin D will also have to be taken.
She will have to visit a physiotherapist to get guidance for proper exercises.
Also these medicines will not have any adverse effect on lactation.
So she may be able to safely feed the baby.

This is a long term problem and if you get her HLAb27(blood test) done it may be positive.
However with proper medicine and exercise she can lead an absolutely normal life.

From my point of view siddha etc has no cure for this disease.
Avoid getting lured into quacks, who may actually be giving steroids in garb of ayurveda.

Hope this helps.

Follow-up: Having back pain. MRI confirmed inflammatory. Advised to stop feeding the baby. Curable? 2 days later
Okay Doctor. Thanks for the advice. I ll go and check with another Rheumotologist and come back with his opinion. Thanks again.
Answered by Dr. Divya Agarwal 8 minutes later
Brief Answer:
you are most welcome.

Detailed Answer:
you are most welcome.